Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Today is November 11 - the Day we remember those that have given their lives to protect our freedom, our way of life and our future.

While in Germany this day marks the beginning of "Fasching (Karnival)", a time for parties and celebrations, we remember and celebrate those that were killed by War and Terror.

As an FYI - for those that dont know - I am Jewish. Born and bred in Germany as a Jew. PROUD to be Jewish!!

60 years ago, thousands of young Canadian, British, US, French, Polish soldiers and soldiers of numerous other countries fought and died to preserve my right to BE Jewish.

Actually, without their sacrifice, I may not be here and thus neither would be my daughter, or my brother and his daughter.

You see, my mom's family hails from Poland. From a little Staettel (village) from near what is now called Ivano-Frankovsk, Ukraine. They were orthodox Jews, miller's to be exact. My grandfather, grandmother and Uncle survived the war under the most difficult circumstances and by the skin of their teeth. They hid in the woods, survived a Nazi termination squad by the fact that Germans quit working at 5pm (or so the story was told to me) and lived in constant fear of being deported to concentration camps. We lost numerous family member in those Concentration Camps or lingering in Ghettoes throughout Poland and Germany.

I hope that one day my daughter will read this and understand that without the sacrifice of the soldiers of the world, who fought in World Wars I and II and all the subsequent wars since 1945, willing to give their lives to free the world from terror, she would not be alive.

So, to all the families of those who fell and the soldiers who fought and still fight, no matter the war, no matter the place:

THANK YOU!




In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
(Lt.Col. Dr. John McCrae 1872-1918)
the picture above is copyrighted to ME - Mark K. (yes i took it!)

1 comment:

MyLifeMyWorld said...

Hey I've never been to this blog before, but I was looking up your info cause I can't get into any of the blogs anymore? Did you go private? I've been AWOL for awhile and not able to really follow much but I was looking for you guys this weekend and well...I can't get any updates. ACK!

I hope all is well and would love an invite to Ts blog if your open to it :) How are things with the sibling project...not sure if I should write it on here or not, but well, got no other way to blog you.

Anyway hope everything is going well :)