Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Marky!!!


On the occasion of St. Paddy's Day, I am dedicating todays blog to Mark and Adrienne in Dublin, other then my wife they are my best friends!!

This is the story of a unique friendship that will celebrate its 12th year this year. Who would have thought that a two people from vastly different backgrounds could become life-long best friends!!

I met Marc in Victoria in 1994. I had just moved there with my then partner after a failed business venture and found work as a driver for a courier company. Marc, who had just moved to Victoria from Dublin via a 6-month stint in Edmonton, joined us about 3 weeks later (I still wont let him forget I had seniority!! hehehe).

From the first day we were inseparable. There was just something about the both of us that fit perfectly. It seemed sorta weird too with our different backgrounds but it sure worked. We spent a lot of time together, him and Ade and me and N.

In 1995 I moved away from Victoria to 100 Mile House/Williams Lake to start a new job.
We kept in contact and Marc and Ade even came and celebrated my 30th birthday up there with me and my family.
Unfortunately Marc also told me that they decided to move back to Ireland. I was honestly sad to see them go back. I was sure this was it for our friendship! Why would they be concerned with a guy thousands of miles away when they have family and friends back at home in Dublin!!

then out of nowhere Marc called me 2 month later. He apologized for being a stranger for so long but it took him and Ade some time to get settled! I was flabbergasted to say the least!!!!!

We kept in constant contact - at least a phone call every 3 month or so, lots of emails, and the occasional letter!

Then in 1998 my dad became ill and I went over to Europe to be with my parents. I decided, however to make a little detour and visit Marc and Adrienne in Dublin. I have always been fascinated by the Irish culture and Dublin was #1 on my visit-a-place-in-the-world-I-haven't-been-to-yet list.

In my life I have never EVER had been welcomed like I had in Dublin that first time. Heck, even the fourth time but that's a different story!
Marc picked me up and walked me straight to the Airport pub. Guinness #1 and 2. ON the way to his new house we stopped at a wonderful pub. Guinness #3, 4, 5 and 6.
When Adrienne finally arrived home from work we went out for a dinner and......yup...Guinness #7 and 8. I slept AMAZINGLY well that night!!!
(a TIP: if you are in jet-lag....drink a few pints of Guinness before bed time...NO JET-LAG!!!)

The next night Marc and Adrienne decided to get everyone together with all friends. What a party it was. When we got to Ade's sisters house her parents were sitting on the couch. This was to be my first meeting of two of the grandest people I ever met (I met two more years earlier in Victoria - Marc's parents!). Ade's Dad got up and shook my hand. Her mother got up and gave me a HUGE bear hug and a wonderfully wet kiss on the cheek and in utter delight announced "So you are the Canadian Mark - welcome to the family!"
I have never met people who welcomed me THAT wonderful EVER! (no offense to family friends I have since I was born!)

anecdote time: That weekend I was invited to their house for the weekly Brown Gathering. I tell you, there is no such thing as getting sick of parties in Ireland!! Every single one is unique and A BLAST!
As it turned out it was also the weekend of Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah. We were sitting at table for brunch and Marc rose, lifted a glass of wine, looked at me and toasted me a "Happy Jewish New Year". The entire Irish-Catholic (and practicing too!!!) clan rose and toasted me for Rosh Hashanah. That I was touched is an understatement!!!

For many years after Marc would come visit me on occasion and I went over when I could.

Then I met Michelle, fell in love and we decided to get married. There was never any doubt who would be my best man!

Last year, April 15, 2005 (civil ceremony) and April 17, 2005 (Jewish Ceremony), Marc stood by my side when Michelle and I said our vows in Prague, Czech Republic. To have my best friend there by my side made the most special day of my life a little more special!

Marc - here is to FRIENDSHIP!

SLIANTE!

No comments: