Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Where has all the professionalism gone? Or was there ever any!!??

Here we go again - a rant that includes the Vancouver Canucks. I wonder if there is any team in the entire world that gets people as riled up to rip em like the 'Nuckleheads?!!!

There was a report yesterday/today that the team, which is on a terrible losing streak and completely underachieving, had two team meetings yesterday. One with the coaches and one players only.

wat wit dat?? TEAM meetings?

Think this scenario: I am calling my boss today and tell her I want to have a meeting to discuss the possibility that I may want to show up for work tomorrow but by all means make sure you pay me at the end of the week!

Am I missing the point here? These so-called "men" earn 7 and 8 figure salaries per annum and need an invite to come to work??? What's next....Spoon feed them? Change their diapers?

Another scenario: my workplace has gone thru some major changes the last year and I am to move this weekend. There is a person at the other location who is supposed to handle things. I am supposed to be in the loop on anything concerning my division - especially my new PC needs setting up and my workspace needs organizing!
This person has stood me up twice now, has not answered any phonecalls or emails and basically is ignoring me - wow, sounds just like internet dating!!!

Why is it that certain individuals believe that professionalism is just a word?

hey, as long as my paycheck comes in every two weeks why should I care about my job? Should I not do just enough work not to be suspected of not doing my job? Am I that naive?

I take pride in the way I do my job. I pull plenty of overtime and late nights (to the rightly deserved chargrin of my wife), get to work early every day to tie up lose ends and organize my day, seldomly get a lunch because I don't like leaving a client waiting and have worked MANY a day sick or with some kind of banged-up body part.

Why? Because I believe in earning my $10/h!! I was raised that way - you earn the right to spent it! (again my wife chargrins - I am spending TOO much!). But I believe that I earn the right to make me a present here and there for getting up at 5 am and coming home at 530 pm. And I believe that my wife earns the right to spent our money for taking care of our house. And I believe that my parents earned the right to spent their money, because THEY sure earned it! And I have no problem with ANYONE spending their well-earned money!

But it MUST BE EARNED! to make US$5 million a season and then show up every other month is theft. Plain and Simple. Ok, have to admit - if the GM of the Canucks is stupid enough to pay someone who doesn't work HE should be fired too! (Heck - get the entire team fired and buy a decent curling team - because right now curling is more interesting to watch then the Canucks!). Nobody expects professional athletes to have great days every day. I don't expect anyone to be 100% every single day. But MAKE AN EFFORT!

Somewhere along the line some people have to learn that being a professional means working HARD every day - even on a bad day - to earn a paycheck.

Or even more important: earn the respect of those that make bare minimum to survive because they didn't have the talent or the education to be a hockey player or a doctor.

Have a wonderful day! :-)

No comments: