Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Why be afraid of the unknown? There aren't too many adventures left!!

After days of being to busy to write (my company moved to new digs) I finally have a few minutes to myself. So I went on Flickr and checked out the pix of a Flickr friend whose photography I adore!

She told me weeks ago she would get a puppy and knowing I had Hershey she asked me a few questions, which, of course, I gladly tried to answer.
Today I went on her blog, which like her photography is awesome, and there was a little entry about being scared and not knowing if she could handle a pup.

Well J. , let me tell you the story about me and my first pup - Hershey aka "The Hersheynator" [pix available on Flickr.com]

When I met my wife almost 4 years ago she told me she had just bought her first own dog. She had always had dogs through her parents but never one on her own. Being an animal lover (I had a cat at the time) I of course was delighted to having met a fellow animal lover.

On our first date, M. brought two photo albums of this little brown creature and his first 3 month on earth. The next date, 2 days later, she brought him with her. We met at Starbucks to go to the Sunshine Coast for some photography and her roommate had Hershey outside while M. got her coffee. I got out of the car and Hershey, all 10 lbs of him, rushed me and jumped on me. It was love at first sight. All my worries about having a potential girlfriend with a dog were at that point gone with the kisses Hershey gave me.

We had a wonderful date, with the dog of course being center stage the whole time.

As things progresses with M. and me, I took on more responsibility with Hershey. M. moved in and so did the little rascal. I was terrified about having a dog. I never had one. I had Tye the Cat, a whole bunch of fish years ago and when I was 12 I had to birds. That's IT!
I had absolutely NO idea what to do with him. Sure I can play with him and walk with him. But scooping poop? What if he eats something and throws up? What if he gets into a fight? WHAT???!!!

You should have seen me the first time I tried scooping poop! M. is still mockingly laughing about it. To say the least I was barely able to turn the bag inside out. All the poo almost landed back on ME!

And then there was the time when he had to go pee so bad we saw yellow fluids in his eyes. We were driving along 16th Ave and were almost home so I thought he would be ok. Next thing I know he jumps up on me (while driving 80km/h) and a second later I felt warm and wet down my pants. M. - don't you dare laugh!!!!!

Over the years however I realized that taking care of a dog is as easy as taking care of yourself. Nothing to it. Animals are extremely forgiving creatures. They love you regardless.

So J - don't be scared. Follow your instincts and treat Utah the same way you want to be treated. Give him all the love you can but not all the food he wants!! Take him for walks and plays, to doggy parks and on occasion to bed with you. Never forget to take 1000 pictures a day.
And in the end you will experience something that few people experience - true and unconditional love!!

cheers

No comments: