Sunday, April 23, 2006

Respect for cyclists? WHY?

Last week M. and I took our chocolate Lab, Hershey, for a walk into Pacific Spirit Park. It was a rare sunny April day in Vancouver and we took advantage of it. The Park is a favorite for both families with dogs, with or without kids, joggers and cyclists. Most parts of it are off leash which makes it PERFECT for Hershey's unbound energy to let loose!
As we walk along I spot this cyclist charging down the trail at 100 km/h. I called Hershey back, grabbed his collar and held him to be nice and make sure he doesn't spill a biker in his enthusiasm.
That asshole on his bike never slowed down!!! Almost ran us over despite the fact we were on the side of the trail. He also almost ran a puddle and sprayed us!
So when I shouted after him my usual "niceties" about what a fucking arsehole he is - he stopped - and shouted back at me to take my "fucking mudd on a leash". In an off-leash park!

Yesterday as I was driving to the store I encountered 2 cyclists slowly paddling along the road, side-by-side, blocking the entire right lane.
As is my usual way I passed them and then safely, without signal changed lanes VERY close in front of them. I almost scared one of them off his bike. My efforts got me a finger!

Here is my point! Cyclists in Vancouver are up and over the fence for more respect on the road. Many a cyclist is struck every day in traffic. We apparently don't have enough bike lanes in the city. A city that sports as many cyclists daily then any Dutch city (the Dutch being famous for cycling and all!)

However, here is my point of view. We DO need more bike lanes. We DO need to be more aware of cyclists on the road.
BUT what we need MOST OF ALL - cyclists who KNOW THE RULES of the road!!!!

When I was growing up in Europe, I had yearly cyclist training in school from Grade 2 on! GRADE 2!!!! Every year until Grade 10!
I knew what to do in any situation on the road. I was trained by traffic police officers like I was trained by a driving instructor at Young Drivers to do what I needed to operate a vehicle in traffic.

Here in Vancouver, all I see and encounter are people who buy a fancy $5000 bike, wonderful cycling outfits they can wear to the opera if need be and an attitude that makes me want to throw most of them off their bikes!

IF a cyclist wants respect from ME, they have to earn it! Abide by the rules of traffic as I do when I operate a vehicle in traffic! Learn the rules or get off the road!

It is a shame that a motorist can get a ticket making a U-turn on a back country road but a cyclist can go and run over a family without being punished!

Get with the program, you two-wheeled, paddling morons on the road! Get with the Program!

THEN maybe you will earn the respect you seek!

Happy Sunday!

No comments: